Monday 17 September 2012

I Was Glad

Heading into the Pentland Hills, Royal Wedding Day 2011 - Durham-Iona Pilgrimage



 I was glad when they said unto me: We will go into the house of the Lord.
2. Our feet shall stand in thy gates: O Jerusalem.
3. Jerusalem is builded as a city: that is at unity in itself.
6. O pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.
7. Peace be within thy walls: and plenteousness within thy palaces.

Shades of pilgrimage today when I revisited these verses from Psalm 122;  link here to my favourite setting: Sir Hubert Parry's Coronation Anthem "I Was Glad" re-popularised of course, by last year's Royal Wedding.  No TV coverage for us, though we caught up later. As the bride entered, we were heading up into the Pentland Hills, and whilst  the happy couple were exchanging vows, Mr GP and myself were taking a hard-earned break. We toasted William and Kate with a swig of Lucozade!

  I'll always associate  this psalm with those happy memories of one  never to be forgotten journey.

2 comments:

  1. I do love connections and coincidences! We had the first session of a labyrinth course today and I chose Psalm 22 for a Lectio Divina to start the day: yes, that theme of pilgrimage - our feet on holy ground - and finding God in the city.(I intend to writ a blog post about it when I get a moment). But how lovely to think you were praying with it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...of course, I did mean Psalm 122!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I always love receiving comments; do feel free. If you're visiting from the A-Z challenge (or even if you're not!) could I thank you for your patience in using the dreaded captcha verification thingy. It's a pain, I know, but I've had problems with spam in the past and would rather keep Greenpatches as a junk-free zone.