Wednesday 5 June 2013

Holiday Reading

Unearthed during my spring cleaning  binge - an  ancient copy of 'Oldchurch' magazine. The theme was Times of Refreshment and it  included a couple of reviews by my goodself that as I read them took me straight  back to those   endless summer days spent  dreaming my life away on a French campsite.   There's more than a hint of the old rose-tinted glasses here, of course there is; with two teenagers around at the time, doubtless even our times of calme et detente were relatively limited. Still -  I remember going through a tremendous period of  spiritual growth  back then, and it's wonderful to return to experiences like this and reflect on just how far I've travelled since.  The foundations for what was to come were being laid even then.  Though I'm sure, like many of us, that I could usefully revisit some of the handy hints on living a balanced life that our then rector included in his introduction. Here are some of them:


  • Be gentle with yourself
  • Find a hermit spot. Use it daily
  • Change your routine often and your tasks when you can.
  • Be a resource to yourself. Get creative. Be an artist as well as a technician.
  • Schedule 'withdraw' periods during the week. Limit interruptions.
  • Say 'I choose' rather than 'I should.'
  • If you never say 'No' what is your 'Yes' worth?
  • Laugh and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog. I always love receiving comments; do feel free. If you're visiting from the A-Z challenge (or even if you're not!) could I thank you for your patience in using the dreaded captcha verification thingy. It's a pain, I know, but I've had problems with spam in the past and would rather keep Greenpatches as a junk-free zone.