Saturday 25 April 2015

A-Z Day 25: Venice





V is for: Vacuum cleaner, Vim, varicose veins, vigil, video, velcro, vitamins and....Venice, where we celebrated our (belated) 50th birthdays, some six years ago. Here are just a few of the wonderful memories we brought back with us.

Venetian-themed music? I've been completely at a loss as to what to choose. Until a minute ago, when by one of those happy co-incidences I stumbled across a recording of Giovanni Gabrieli's In Ecclesiis.   Cue hazy  memories of singing in  this one for a combined schools' concert more years ago than I care to think. I've also clearer  memories of food fights in the dining hall before the performance. (It being one of those occasions when combined our musical resources with those of a nearby boy's public school). Isn't it strange how you can go from the sublime to the ridiculous in just a few lines? From Venice to flying mashed potato and squashed peas. The mind is a strange beast indeed.



5 comments:

  1. I often listen to "Venetian Carnival" by Ronald Binge with my primary school music classes. You may recogise the theme as "My hat, it has three corners". To me it is the perfect musical depiction of an exciting carnival adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often listen to "Venetian Carnival" by Ronald Binge with my primary school music classes. You may recogise the theme as "My hat, it has three corners". To me it is the perfect musical depiction of an exciting carnival adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestion. Thanks, Kirsten. I think I know the one you mean. Must have a listen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful place to go for a special celebration of birthdays (even if it took a few years to get there after the fact)

    betty

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my blog. I always love receiving comments; do feel free. If you're visiting from the A-Z challenge (or even if you're not!) could I thank you for your patience in using the dreaded captcha verification thingy. It's a pain, I know, but I've had problems with spam in the past and would rather keep Greenpatches as a junk-free zone.